Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Life is always an adventure in Nicaragua and Costa Rica

I used to call travel in Central America an adventure but now I think it is more of a mission. We spent 2 hours at the border Friday. Then I paired up with another 4x4 for about an hour to pull out the Nosara bus that was stuck on its way to Nicoya. I then hoped on my Mtn Bike about 30 km from our place. I guess I am not in as good shape as I used to be because it soon got dark....well pitch black. As I was going down a steep hill my wheel got stuck in a tire track and just like that I was skiing down the gravel with the left side of my body.....my iPod got stuck between my hip and the gravel, see attached pic. Even after last week's debacle where it was submerged in the river behind San Juan it took a lickin' and kept on tickin'......the left earphone got knocked off my head and the right earphone was still blasting Gone Away by The Offspring.....my left arm.....well it just doesn't like skin because for the 3rd time in less than 6 months it tried to get rid of some more. The handlebars were tweaked and the Tico walking up the hill next to me was saying something, probably something like 'Que Gringo mas loco,' but I had to get right back on the bike and shag off the pain.



10 minutes later we had to cross Rio Montaña and while we were waiting for my father-in-law to show up with the quad to take our bags across I was speaking to the neighbors and when it was too late I realized I was standing on a stinging ant hill and lost some of the skin on my right ankle....I began jumping up and down and threw off my shoes screaming.....I think the neighbors were saying something like 'Que Gringo mas loco'.....what should have been a 5 hour trip turned into 6:30am until 6:30PM.....

The next night my wife's cousin got his big hauling truck stuck in Rio Montaña and we had to pull him out with my father-in-laws big hauling truck but it wouldn't start so we had to jump start it with the Cat which I had to drive. I said I couldn't but my brother-in-law said I had to and I better learn fast....he gave me a 30 second lesson....see attached pic....and we jump started the truck and pulled out the other one stuck in the river.



In the mean time our phone line went dead due to a fallen tree and the internet service went out in the area as well.

A TRUE MISSION.
Be Well,
Barry

No comments: